Job Announcement: Environmental Justice

wilson@teleport.com
14 Oct 1997 15:54:01

From: wilson@teleport.com (Angela Wilson)
Subject: Job Announcement: Environmental Justice

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: PLEASE POST
POLLUTION PREVENTION PROGRAM DIRECTOR/COMMUNITY ORGANIZER

BACKGROUND

The Environmental Justice Action Group (EJAG) is a new community-based
organization in Portland, Oregon dedicated to the elimination of
environmental racism and the establishment of justice. Our focus is N/NE
Portland, home to numerous African-American and Latino families, many of
whom are poor. We are a membership organization that will serve as a
vehicle for education and activism around the issues of health, safety and
environmental justice.Our motto is," A community that educates itself and
speaks out for itself can best protect itself."

POSITION DESCRIPTION

The program director will be EJAG's first hire and will have numerous
responsibilities. They include:
--community organizing
--identification of pollution problems in N/NE Portland
--working with local small- and medium-sized businesses(such as auto body
shops) to find solutions to pollution problems
--investigate specific issues and/or recruit volunteers to conduct research.
--create specific pollution prevention pilot projects
--develop and implement public education campaigns related to specific
projects. · --working with members of this community to set priorities and
develop an action plan
-- educating the community about key environmental issues
--working with a counterpart at the Oregon Environmental Council, EJAG's
partner on the pollution prevention project
--develop and maintain contacts to build a broad base of support for EJAG
objectives. ·

In addition the program director will be responsible for a;implementing,
monitoring and evaluating pollution prevention strategies and
projects.This position will report directly to the EJAG board.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
The successful applicant will have:
--the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with members of a
racially and economically diverse community
--at least two years of experience in community-based organizations
--a strong commitment to environmental justice and familiarity with many of
the urban EJ issues
--self-motivation and initiative
--the ability to handle all aspects of a project
--good oral and written communication skills
--the capacity to manage many projects at once

Desirable:

---- An ability to collaborate and build consensus among conflicting
interests. --Computer skills, particularly experience using geographic
information systems, or a demonstrated ability to learn these skills.
--Spanish-speaking ability

EJAG STRONGLY ENCOURAGES AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN AND LATINAS TO APPLY FOR
THIS POSITION.

COMPENSATION

This is a full-time salaried position. Starting salary range is $28,000 to
$31,000 commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits include paid
vacation annually and health insurance.
The position is currently funded for 1 year. However, we are committed to
finding additional funding to continue the position.

TO APPLY

This position is open until October 24 or until filled. Send cover letter,
resume, references to: Angela Wilson, Pollution Prevention, 550 NE Fargo
Portland, OR 97212. You can also email the material to
wilson@teleport.com