1998 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Trina Villanueva <trina@autobahn.org>
Date: 17 Apr 1998 17:29:26
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Community Participation: Brownfields Redevelopment Principles for Lendors, Investors, & Community Members

Hello,
I have been following this discussion on community participation and
developers for the past 2 weeks and it seems clear that this issue
should be discussed in Brownfields '98.  During Brownfields '97, It was
disconcerting for me to attend panel discussions on the Financing track
and realize that many of the participants did not represent community
members.  In addition, none of the panelists I heard included possible
community perspectives within their talks.  I agree that Community
Involvement should be weaved into the other aspects of brownfields
redevelopment since I think this is the only way to remind developers,
lenders, and investors that community members are also decision makers
in brownfields projects.  Having a separate track will only continue to
marginalize community concerns.

I work for the Greenlining Institute, a nonprofit public policy and
advocacy organization based in San Francisco, CA, committed to promoting
economic development in low-income and minority communities.  Our main
goal for our brownfields program is to increase the involvement of
lenders in brownfields projects.  We also want to ensure that financial
institutions invest in projects which truly increase the quality of life
of the people living and working near proposed redevelopment sites.  As
a result, we convened a Brownfields Policy Committee comprised of
community leaders from California to discuss issues which are relevant
to brownfields redevelopment.  Attached is a draft of the Brownfield
Redevelopment Principles report.  It builds on much of the work of
advocates for environmental justice, sustainable development, and
economic revitalization.  We are presenting this primarily to financial
institutions in California.  Please let me know if you cannot open this
document or if you would like for me to mail you a hard copy.  I would
appreciate your comments and endorsement of this report.  Thank you.

Trina Villanueva
Fellow
The Greenlining Institute
785 Market St., 3rd Floor