1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:16:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Definition, VCPs, and Brownfields

Potentially Responsible Parties would rather work in a regulatory environment
where the regulators acts of "discretion" are more accessible to the PRP's
influence. In cases where the EPA is the decision maker, the cost of
influencing
decisions are higher than when a local decision maker is involved. I
suggest that
the operating principle focus on the control of the regulatory decision makers
decision.

It is very interesting to observe the dialog that attempts to frame the
periphery
of the age old question of power and control. How many ways can one disguise a
situation? After all, the law says that the PRP is liable. The governmental
apparatus, the bureaucracy, must act to enforce the law. It is in this
enforcement
stage that the PRP seems to find relief and the marginal socio-cultural groups
experience environmental justice's denial. Mr. Bartsch's article on
brownfields in
a European setting seems to provide a more detailed description of this denial
process. The article is available in another message on the CPEO listserv.

Emery