1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 11:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: "The Economic Benefits of Open Space"

Tommy Y,

I really appreciate your perspective here. Let me offer the  notions of
colonialism and imperialism as descriptors that characterize the spectrum of
social relations attending both inter and intra - state relations in socially
stratified societies. It might be useful to entertain brownfields in this light.

Perceived in this way, brownfields is an artifact of productive activity where
the owners haven't internalized all of the costs of the productive activity. The
people living in close proximity to the production activity initially, and later,
near the residue of the enterprise, tend to be of the same social class and/or
cultural group. Generally these families come from the lower socio-economic class
and the marginalized cultural group. My reading of international situations
doesn't lead me to conclude that conditions are different in other nations.

Let me stop here and offer an article titled "Brownfields Gentrification" for
your review and comment.  Brownfield Gentrification in Europe