1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Rebekah Buckles <reb@sna.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: gentrification revisited....?

I concur that society must find meaningful ways to allow the local poor
community to not be displaced within the redevelopment of blighted
areas.  If equitable participation, forward movement and sustainability
of these residents is to be ensured,  the approach must equally require
their participation through their investment.  If social funds merely
purchase, administer and transfer equity to local poor residents, we
have provided nothing more than the equivalent of feeding them a meal.
But if we as a society establish frameworks that afford these citizens
equity rights in exchange for their investment, through "sweat equity"
participation, work exchange, community involvement, beautification
programs and the like, we are creating a framework -- a foundation of
support that opens the door to opportunity by providing the tools,
resources and guidance necessary for these citizens to build a future
for themselves and their families.  In this way we are demonstrating our
honor and respect for the unique talents and contributions that these
people can make to our community and society at large. With a supporting
hand, we are creating a pathway for these people to grow, to aspire, to
challenge, to reach and to achieve their self-sustainability -- this is
their birthright.

Rebekah Buckles