1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Alex Lantsberg" <alex@SAEJ.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: Creating "brightfields" on Brownfields

while i like the idea of the feds recognizing the potential of solar energy,
i'm a bit concerned that this is nothing but conversion of a parking lot to
a solar lot.

my support and advocacy of brownfields strategies has been predicated on the
belief that we would get (1) some cleanup of the site & (2) productive
community reuse that will have tangible economic benefits for the community.
while the creation of a solar panel plant is good, the second paragraph
makes me think that this initiative won't do either of the above.  if the
feds want to pursue solar energy, then they should provide folks with solar
panels for their roofs--that's a way to directly offset individual energy
use.

how bout this for an idea--solar panels for communities and more
redevelopment of the lots (where applicable) into manufacturing plants that
produce these panels.

alex