1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: loftihu@tetratech-ffx.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:26:45 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Brownfields and the CWA

 PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGE IN LISTSERVER
 PROCEDURES: EFFECTIVE 11/16/99, A SIMPLE REPLY
 WILL SEND A MESSAGE TO THE ORIGINATOR OF THIS
 MESSAGE, AS LISTED ON THE "FROM" LINE OF THE
 HEADER. A REPLY TO "ALL" WILL SEND YOUR RESPONSE
 TO THE ENTIRE LIST OF SUBSCRIBERS, AS WELL.

Hello,

I am new to the brownfields listserver.  I did quickly review the listserver
topics for 1999 that are listed on the CPEO web site and did not find the
following topic.  Hopefully this forum can provide some guidance.

I want to determine the impact that brownfields have on surface water.  It
is my understanding, correct me if this is wrong, that once a brownfield
site has been certified as clean, it is subject to the same Clean Water Act
requirements as any other redevelopment site.  This involves stormwater,
construction, groundwater discharges, etc.  However, some communities have
redevelopment requirements that are less stringent than new development
requirements.  For example, a community may allow a site, that was
constructed before any stormwater controls were required, to be redeveloped
using pollutant load limits that are less than those required for new
development sites.  Some objectives of these loosened policies are to
promote the redevelopment of older sites, and so gain some improvement of
water quality, and to slow sprawl and water quality impacts if this
development were to take place in greenfield areas.

What I would like to now are the following:

1.  Where could I get information on how municipalities nationwide handle
Clean Water Act requirements for redevelopment versus new development sites?

2.  Are there different requirements in some municipalities on how
brownfields are treated versus other redevelopment and greenfield
development sites?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hunt Loftin