2000 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Approval request for cpeo-brownfields@igc.topica.com

From: fhoffman@instrm.org

From: fhoffman@instrm.org
>To: cpeo-brownfields@igc.topica.com
>Subject: Fw: New Book on Brownfields - excellent for practice and text
>

>This was sent during the period that you were unable to receive messages.
Please send it out to the brownfields list serve.  Thanks,
>Fran Hoffman, IRM

>I am including the following announcement as a response to some inquiries
about possible texts for brownfields courses.  We at the Institute for
Responsible Management (IRM) believe that this new book will be helpful as
a practical guide to those involved in and wanting to know about
brownfields redevelopment, as well as provide rich conceptual and research
content for relevant academic programs.    If you have any questions,
please give me a call (732-296-1960) or email your message to me at
fhoffman@instrm.org.  Hope you like it.

>Fran Hoffman
>Vice President for Planning and Research, IRM
>

>ANNOUNCING
>
>"A GREAT EXPERIMENT: Brownfields Pilots Catalyze Revitalization"
>
>Charles W. Powers, Frances E. Hoffman, Deborah E. Brown, Catherine =
>Conner
>

>Price: $28.50, payable by major credit card or may be invoiced upon =
>placing an order.
>
>Review copies for brownfields and related academic courses will be =
>provided at no charge when copies of the book are ordered as texts.
>
>To Order: Web Site http://www.instrm.org Email: mail@instrm.org, Phone:
732-296-1960, Fax:  732-296-1972

>The authors are pleased to offer their new book, "A GREAT EXPERIMENT:
Brownfields Pilots Catalyze Revitalization," to the national and
international brownfields community: public officials, developers,
community residents, real estate professionals, environmental and public
health practitioners and advocates, lenders, lawyers, insurance companies,
environmental justice stakeholders, open space and recreation interests,
the business community, and relevant courses at colleges and universities.

>The two hundred-page document captures the essence of brownfields
redevelopment as reflected in the experience of the first five years of the
EPA Brownfields Initiative, in particular the Brownfields Assessment
Demonstration Pilots. It is the product of several years research and
analysis conducted at the Institute for Responsible Management (IRM) by
authors with a distinguished combination of research, consulting, academic
appointments and teaching experience, public and private sector work, and
of personal as well as professional commitment to the furthering of
brownfields revitalization.

>The book content and style illustrates unique expertise and know-how in
the brownfields process. Through IRM, the authors have both observed and
participated in the "great experiment" by working with and researching the
Brownfields Pilots and their stakeholders at state and federal levels
throughout the duration of the EPA Brownfields Initiative. The book
contains a catalogue of issues that both help and hinder brownfields
redevelopment, and it provides cogent analyses of those issues. It is this
analysis and the broad national frame of reference based on direct contact
with the pilots, through field visits and continuing communication, that
sets IRM and this book apart from the typical brownfields case study
literature and from other brownfields practitioners and observers.

>The book begins with an introductory chapter on the history of the
Brownfields Pilots and EPA Policy. The heart of the book includes chapters
that explore and interpret the major findings of this research
on the EPA Brownfields Pilots: Site Selection, Public Involvement, Need for
Financial Modeling, Tying Assessment and Cleanup to Redevelopment, and
Synergy Between City and State. It is full of anecdotal references
and short case examples that illustrate the major and minor-but-critical
achievements and lessons learned. The book concludes with an addendum that
provides a thoughtful forecast of upcoming issues in brownfields that
demand attention.

>IRM is often referred to as the Brownfields "Think-Tank" by those in the
EPA Brownfields community, and the new "IRM Schema Matrix: Elements of
Brownfields Redevelopment", included in the Appendix of the book, is an
example of the thought process that IRM attempts to bring to the
brownfields process. It is a very useful tool and reference for planning,
managing and monitoring the complex nature of brownfields redevelopment.

>One of the reviewers of the book who subsequently joined the Board of
Directors of IRM, Dr. Bailus Walker, Jr., Director of Health Policy at
Howard University's Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
commented: "=85this book is the new bible for a key aspect of the complex
Brownfields cleanup and reuse process. I read it twice because I found it
the most authoritative source yet on the emerging path to urban
revitalization."

>* IRM has been conducting interactive research on the EPA Brownfields
Assessment Pilots through a cooperative agreement with the United States
Environmental Protection Agency Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Removal
since the inception of the Brownfields Initiative.