2000 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: rgfp@mail.utexas.edu
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:45:11 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] NEW MONTGOMERY COUNTY SHOPPING CENTER EMERGES FROM

FORMER
	  BRO

Dear Brownfield List-serv members,

I'm busy teaching my summer graduate seminar on brownfield
redevelopment. We have a number of Central Texas case examples that we
will look at once the class has come up to speed on law, market
analysis, land use planning and implementation, ESA, remediation
approaches, environmental justice and sustainability material, etc.,

It occurred to me, however, that there may be some really good case
studies that members of this lisst-serv have created, that are canned in
powerpoint presentations (perhaps from the annual brownfields
conference), that would be good for class discussion as well.  If you
have such a presentation (ideally with graphics incorporated--a picture
is worth a thousand words), I'd really appreciate your sharing them and
your insights as to the interesting twists of making the project work.

Please email directly to me. If too large a file to email, I can ftp a
file from you, or I'll send you a zip disk with a postage paid return
envelope.  The use of materials would be strictly educational.

Case studies that would really help include agricultural brownfield
example, small town example, environmental justice example, phased
development example, difficult infill site example (e.g., land
assembly, eminent domain use, etc) and an areawide brownfield project
(e.g., plume in the downtown groundwater with multiple uncertain
contributing ources).  If you have a written case study with images I
can scan in to ppt, that would work too.  I have already checked out the
EPA sustainability, Northeast-Midwest Institute, and Carnegie Mellon
Unviersity case study web site.

If I get enough responses, I'll compile the case studies on a public
access server--with the author's permission--so others can download the
case examples.  A series of easily accessible "sucessful" case studies
in powerpoint files can also be used to help convince local officials
that they have a stake in brownfield redevelopment.

Thanks in advance......

Best Regards,

Bob