2002 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 May 2002 15:22:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] looking for a few good reviewers, land use controls survey

[POSTED BY Kris Wernstedt <Wernsted@rff.org>]

I am looking for help in reviewing a draft survey that colleagues and I
are designing to examine how local government officials monitor and
enforce a variety of land use controls.  These controls include building
code requirements, zoning, groundwater use restrictions, and deed
restrictions associated with contaminated soil.  Our objective in the
survey is to better understand the reasons why land use controls are/are
not violated, how violations are detected, the barriers to enforcement,
trends in land use controls over time, and the range of actions local
governments can take when a violation is detected.  The survey is part
of a study we are conducting on the local implementation of brownfields
regulations and is being funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.  As
some of you may know, my organization, Resources for the Future, is a
non-profit, non-advocacy research organization in Washington, DC.

Before we administer the final survey, we would like feedback on a draft
version from people experienced with contaminated properties.  We will
target local government officials in our survey (planners, economic
development officials, city attorneys, city managers, clerk of records,
etc.), but at this point we're interested in comments from any one
familiar with such land use controls, whether from the public or private
sectors.  Are the survey questions clear, are they worded in such a way
to encourage people to respond, are we missing important questions, do
you have other ideas on people we should target?

If you are willing to help, please contact me by phone or email at

Kris Wernstedt
wernsted@rff.org
202-328-5076

and I will send you a copy of the draft survey via email (as an Adobe
Acrobat PDF file) or regular mail.  You can send comments back by email,
fax, or regular mail.

Thanks.

Kris Wernstedt, Fellow
Resources for the Future