2003 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: rgfp@mail.utexas.edu
Date: 25 Jul 2003 19:22:49 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] RBCA again

Larry and Emery,

My view probably falls somewhere between the two of you.  RBCA is great
when you're right Larry. The problem is when you are wrong. The various
institutional and engineering controls that disrupt the pathways of
exposure are NOT bullet proof. States and local governments are not
geared up for enforcement of future land use -- period! Restrictive
covenants need monitoring and zoning enforcement is not going to be
effective.

Code enforcement VERY rarely even considers zoning use and class -- they
are too busy keeping up with NEW development, not existing development
uses -- I should know, we did a national study on building code
enforcement a few years ago. I can dig out the data set and tell you how
many localities typically look at approved  "land use" on existing
development and it will be VERY low. They rely on complaints to find
these for the most part.  Plus, in a few states, there is no zoning in
unincorporated areas -- period. No one regulates land use in those
settings -- period.

Example in Texas. The East Austin Tank Farm cleaned up to commercial and
industrial future use standard. Problem: a Church with day care
purchases and locates there, kids in yard running around in bare feet
where they should not be...lawsuit ensues....have not seen the outcome
from that yet.

How about this hypo.  RBCA based cleanup of a site with pavement capping
the exposure pathway.  Owner gives a 10 yr lease to tenant, not a
terribly vigilant landlord in watching site....tenant there a few years,
now decides planters in some places on the parking lot would be nice,
knows owner would not pay for it, so he contracts for the minor changes
(out of own pocket). They tore up the "cap" and dig where they should
not, we now have exposure pathways....

You can dream up other situations I'm sure -- sublease situations
perhaps?

RBCA promises more than it can deliver.  Some controls are safer than
others, so we should probably look harder with all VCPs as to which
controls for various contaminants -- truly are the most "bullet proof"
(none will be perfect) -- and under the precautionary principle -- use
"just" those until we have betters ways to "ensure" enforcement for
other controls.

Kind regards

Bob

Robert G. Paterson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Research and Operations
Director, Graduate Program in Community and Regional Planning
School of Architecture and Planning
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station B7500
Austin, Texas 78712-0222