2003 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: cpeo <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Dec 2003 19:15:29 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Residents of Mountain View TCE Site want soil tested

Homeowners call for immediate tests on soil
Residents want EPA to rid homes of TCE soon

By Julie O'Shea
Mountain View Voice
Friday, December 05, 2003

A residents' group is pushing federal agents for a more thorough and
extensive investigation of one of the city's Superfund sites where
hundreds of family homes sit above toxic groundwater.

Moreover, the group, in a pointed letter to the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA) on Nov. 17, said it wants the contamination
removed from the area as quickly as possible.

"The next phase should be more testing, and then the next phase should
be cleanup. We don't want it to drag on for 10 years," said Ed
Schlosser, a member of the Northeast Mountain View Advisory Council
(NMAC) executive board whose home is built on top of the contaminated
site under investigation.

EPA officials released the second phase of a draft work plan for the
former GTE Government Systems site in late September. GTE, a defense
contractor and telecommunications giant, polluted the site and is
responsible for the cleanup.

The lengthy work plan details how the federal agency plans to continue
testing the soil, soil-gas and groundwater for a range of toxic
chemicals, including trichloroethene (TCE), a cancer-causing solvent
that has been found in a couple of homes built on the site in 1997.

Testing -- which will be conducted in nearly 30 different locations
around the area -- will take three weeks and hopefully begin early next
year, EPA officials said.

for the entire article, see
http://www.mv-voice.com/thisweek/2003_12_05.gte.shtml