2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Jan 2005 18:57:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE and childhood cancers in Pennsylvania

[Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but my data from Pennsylvania
says that the state screening level for TCE in air is 12 micrograms per
cubic meter and for PCE is 36 micrograms per cubic meter. Both of these
are substantially higher than the numbers used in other states. - LS]

State closely monitoring air for TCE
The more intensive study in L. Providence follows earlier findings of
high levels of the suspected carcinogen.

By Marc Schogol
Philadelphia Inquirer
January 6, 2004

The state Department of Environmental Protection has installed air
monitors near Collegeville, where mobile monitoring found elevated
levels of a potentially cancer-causing chemical last year.

DEP officials set up the two monitors in Lower Providence Township last
month after an agency study released in May found high levels of
trichloroethylene, known as TCE, in the air around Collegeville and Pottstown.

Spot air monitoring has been conducted in the affected areas since 2002,
when residents became worried about the high cancer rate there.

A 1998 study conducted by the Montgomery County Health Department and a
2003 study done by the University of Pittsburgh found
higher-than-expected rates of childhood cancer in the area.

The state also has found a related suspected carcinogen,
perchloroethylene (PCE), in more than 60 wells around Montgomery County,
including Upper Pottsgrove and East Norriton.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/10577674.htm