2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Jan 2005 03:45:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Environmental protection as a Brownfields performance measure

About a week ago I posted the highlights of the Government Accountability Office's recent, generally positive evaluation of EPA's Brownfields program. One of GAO's findings reinforces a concern expressed repeatedly by members of the Environmental Justice/Community Brownfields Caucus, so I am extracting it below for emphasis:

"... although EPA's overall mission is to protect human health and the environment, the agency has not yet developed measures to determine the extent to which the Brownfields Program helps reduce environmental risks. Acknowledging these limitations, in fiscal year 2004, EPA began collecting additional information - such as the number of acres ready to be reused - which agency officials believe will allow them to develop additional measures to gauge the program's achievements." (page 5)

Brownfield Redevelopment: Stakeholders Report That EPA's Program Helps to Redevelop Sites, but Additional Measures Could Complement Agency Efforts

Government Accountability Office
GAO-05-94, December 2, 2004
For the entire report, go to http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-05-94