2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Feb 2005 19:13:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Tallevast (FL) excavation questioned

Digging scares Tallevast residents

SCOTT RADWAY
Bradenton Herald (FL)
February 18, 2005

TALLEVAST - County road crews scooped out a drainage ditch along 2,000
feet of Tallevast Road, a project in any other neighborhood that would
be minor work.

But the project was unannounced in the tiny community of Tallevast,
which is battling fears of widespread groundwater and soil contamination.

And it scared some people.

"Why now? Why are you disturbing anything in here until we know the
extent of this contamination?" said Laura Ward, president of the
Tallevast community group FOCUS. "Stop putting us in harm's way. We have
already been placed there enough."

Shaken Tallevast residents, who say they suffer from an inordinate
amount of health problems, asked the county in January to relocate them
because their community was a "virtual time-bomb."

Residents also asked for a moratorium on building or earth moving in
their community until at least after the contamination is mapped.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/10929624.htm