2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 4 Mar 2005 16:52:19 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Ithaca (NY) indoor air meeting

State plots next step in cleanup

JENNIE DALEY
Ithaca Journal (NY)
March 4, 2005

ITHACA -- The mild satisfaction felt by Jofish Kaye at the end of an
information session on testing related to the Emerson Power Transmission
site was common among the many residents in attendance.

Kaye was one of more than 70 people who showed up Thursday night at the
Tompkins County Health and Human Services Building to hear a
presentation by the New York State departments of Health and
Environmental Conservation. The talk outlined results from the first
phase of home air testing and laid out some steps anticipated in the
near future.

"I felt it was reasonably productive; I didn't expect any revelations,"
Kaye said. "We have a community here that is very engaged in this and
we're hearing a lot that decisions can't be made right now, which is
very frustrating to hear. There's a lot of frustration with the
bureaucratic process."

Kaye lives in one of 49 homes that recently underwent a second round of
testing for site-related chemicals of concern in the residences.

Of most interest to officials and residents are four chemicals that
showed up with the most frequency -- 1,1,1-tricholorethane, methylene
chloride, percholorethene --often referred to as PERC, and
tricholorethene, or TCE.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/news/stories/20050304/localnews/2047934.html