2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 Mar 2005 19:01:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE in Bayport (MN)

Solution for tainted water near, city says
TCE contamination near state's limit; Superfund money sought

BY MARY DIVINE
Pioneer Press (MN)
March 17, 2005

Bayport city officials are close to choosing a permanent fix for the
city's water woes.

Officials have closely monitored Bayport's drinking water since trace
levels of trichloroethylene, considered a probable carcinogen, were
found in a city well in 2003.

The amount of TCE in Bayport currently poses no health hazard ? but it
has risen, causing concern among city leaders. The latest tests show
Bayport's level is 4.5 parts per billion, up from 3.4 ppb a year ago and
closer to the state Health Department's current threshold of 5 ppb,
above which contamination is considered unsafe.

"My feeling is that any (TCE) is too much," said Mayor Rick Schneider.
"We have a right to demand clean water. I've been noticing around the
country that groundwater is in tough shape. I think we need to plan for
the long term; even though (the current level) is deemed safe now, what
will they come up with in 10 years?"

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/11155411.htm