2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Mar 2005 17:13:33 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Hearing planned for Ithaca (NY)

State hearing on Emerson within a month

ROGER DUPUIS II
Ithaca Journal (NY)
March 18, 2005

ITHACA -- Assemblywoman Barbara Lifton, D-125th District, announced
Thursday that a state hearing on chemical contamination around Emerson
Power Transmission could be held as early as next month.

"I want to make sure that state law is strong enough to properly protect
the health of our citizens and that the Department of Environmental
Conservation and the Department of Health are fully exercising the power
they have to investigate this site, as well as others around the state,"
Lifton said. "Right now, I have my doubts on both points. That will be
the purpose of this hearing."

Lifton is a member of the 28-member Assembly Committee on Environmental
Conservation which is chaired by Nassau County Assemblyman Tom DiNapoli,
D-16th District. DiNapoli has agreed to come to Ithaca for a hearing,
Lifton said, likely in late April.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/news/stories/20050318/localnews/2081350.html