2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Jun 2005 16:14:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Purecoat site in Belmont, MA

DEP: More tests needed

By Melody Hanatani
Belmont Citizen Herald
June 2, 2005

Purecoat North LLC needs to conduct more testing for contamination at
its Hittinger Street property, according to an order issued on May 20 by
the state Department of Environmental Protection.

The DEP issued a new deadline to the metal plating company to present
more data regarding toxic chemicals on its site.

"We're asking [Purecoat] to do additional field work to provide
additional information to confirm that contamination is not coming close
to residences or schools at concentrations of concern," said Jack Miano,
a DEP environmental engineer, in an interview last week. "We're just
asking them to look in some additional places they hadn't looked before."

Last December, Johnson informed Selectman Will Brownsberger that the
company would consider an exit strategy. The following month, the board
held a public hearing about alternative uses for that site.

http://www2.townonline.com/belmont/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=258383