2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Jun 2005 00:32:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] How frequently should the National BrownfieldsConference take place?

Submitted by: Barry Trilling <BTrilling@wiggin.com>

Once a year is too often; every three years not often enough. Make it
every other year.

No offense intended to my friends at EPA and ISMA, but here are some
frank suggestions:

Change emphasis dramatically away from public sector to private sector
and stop subsidizing all the entry level and lower management level
public sector workers and charge a modest, but reasonable, fee for
attendance by private sector people.

Also stop the flagrant self-congratulation and political speech-making
in the plenary sessions.

Design programs that will attract the people and institutions in the
private sector that own and develop brownfield properties. As it has
been constituted the Brownfields conference has consisted of little more
than a convention for public sector employees who work on brownfield
issues and trade show for the environmental services industry.

Make the conference leaner and as practical and packed with information
(on a non-redundant basis) as the better private sector programs, such
as those put on by RTM and the American Bar Association.

As for getting the message out to the public sector people who may miss
out if the subsidies are cut, don't worry: if the conference attracts
the right private sector people they'll find a way to get the message
across to those with whom they must deal in government.

Barry Trilling