2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Jun 2005 23:11:05 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] How frequently should the NationalBrownfieldsConference take place?

Submitted by Gladys House <Gcarpetdepot@aol.com> in response to my
(Lenny Siegel's) comments:

June 16, 2005

I concur but must be more harsh.

The annual conference made me aware of the multi-billion dollar industry
in brownfield clean up. Which helped prove my point before Houston's
city council and legal department. However, this is a one-woman's battle
because no support has come from the EPA or EJ.

The annual conference serves "for the record" that it has "reached out"
to the grassroot stakeholders when in fact we are actually worse off.
Since my outspoken position at the last conference, not one grant
proposal has been funded by EPA that our nonprofit submitted. And the
paper presented to EPA to serious correct the shortfalls of its
existence regarding grassroot communities, has been totally ignored. Why
can't grassroot reps. serve on the boards and committees that have
oversight on funding and policy that affect their communities and tax
dollars? Why can't we be empowered to direct clean ups and development
of our own neighborhoods?

One proposal EPA denied was based on the lie that our grassroot
community and organization "did not work with the Houston EPA office."
No, the Houston EPA office refused repeatedly to work with us. In fact,
that office is so negative that we had to involve Region VI to obtain
basic information on our behalf. And had it not been for the invitation
of Shirley Augerson, we would have not known that the Houston EPA office
existed. You certainly cannot get any response from its director or her
staff so Ms. Augerson is always our point of information along with
Arthur Warren.   When will change ever happen for our benefit?

Peace out.
Gladys House
Freedman's Town, Houston, Texas