2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Ignacio Dayrit" <idayrit@ci.emeryville.ca.us>
Date: 20 Jun 2005 05:02:51 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] How frequently shouldtheNationalBrownfieldsConferencetake place?

Title: RE: [CPEO-BIF] How frequently shouldtheNationalBrownfieldsConferencetake place?

Thanks for all you insights.

In thinking of brownfields as an industry, you have to consider that it competes with greenfields/sprawl, and that we are all trying to protect currently undeveloped areas as we revitalize our inner cities.  We have only begun to address that connection, by bringing Smart Growth into the discussion.

In many markets, no amount on incentives to infill (brownfields and smart growth) will sway growth in that direction.   The pull of greenfields development - because it is cheaper, easier, quicker, more desireable, perceived as safer and having better schools - is difficult to overcome.  The entire development process, tax and regulatory structure tacitly favors sprawl.  However, if infill is supported to the level that sprawl development is, then it levels the playing field.  The current conference format/frequency/strategy are not conducive to those discussions.  We have been discussing how to tweak and work within the system, rather that taking a reassessment on how this country can continue to grow, and how the system has to adapt.  It involves bringing in a whole host of stakeholders and disciplines that are not yet in the discussion.

I think this calls for both intense discussions both at the national and regional levels, even if it may not be appropriate for EPA to sponsor all these activities.

Ignacio Dayrit