2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Jul 2005 16:32:27 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Mesa (AZ) Motorola site to be redeveloped

[I don't know how far down the contamination is in Mesa, but this
reminds me of the Mountain View site, where the birthplace of the
semiconductor industry was successfully redeveloped. If the TCE is
shallow, then great care must be taken to prevent vapor intrusion in the
new buildings, but at least in the short run, inexpensive preventive
measures can significantly limit indoor air exposures. - LS]

Motorola plant demolition draws near to completion
Developer: Progress, new jobs to follow

Jim Walsh
The Arizona Republic
July 8, 2005

It looks as if a bomb hit the old Motorola plant in west Mesa, but a
developer says it's a sign of progress and new jobs for an area long in decline.

Although the shell of one large building remains, demolition of the
40-year-old plant near Dobson and Broadway roads is 90 to 95 percent
complete and should be finished by the end of summer, said Scott Hesse,
development manager for Lincoln Property Co.

"In our eyes, it's a rebirth for Mesa. That part of Mesa was basically
dead," Hesse said. "We're going to give the city a new employment
center."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0708evdemolish08.html