2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Date: 5 Oct 2005 17:07:26 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Shaw Group Katrina subcontracting

Press Release

Shaw Group
October 1, 2005

Shaw Employs Louisiana Subcontractors and Small Businesses for Ongoing
Rebuilding Efforts

BATON ROUGE, La.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 1, 2005--The Shaw Group Inc.
(NYSE: SGR) today announced that over 80% of its subcontractors
currently working in Louisiana on hurricane recovery and rebuilding
efforts are Louisiana-based businesses. In addition, approximately 62%
of its subcontractors are small businesses as classified under the U.S.
Department of Labor regulations and nearly 30% of the small businesses
are African-American, women-owned, or other "disadvantaged" enterprises.
Shaw is focused on employing Louisiana-based businesses, minority-owned
businesses, and small businesses. Shaw has been a leader in hurricane
recovery and rebuilding activities in Louisiana as a prime contractor
for the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers to remove the floodwaters in the City of New Orleans and
provide temporary roofing and housing throughout Louisiana.

J.M. Bernhard, Jr., Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Shaw, said,
"Shaw remains committed to the rapid recovery and rebuilding of
Louisiana in the aftermath of the recent hurricanes. As part of our
vision of a strong and thriving Louisiana, we understand that everyone
in the State must promote and support Louisiana-based companies and
small businesses. Our focus is to employ Louisiana contractors and small
and minority-owned enterprises, and we are particularly committed to
working with those companies and individuals who have been personally
impacted by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. We will continue to seek out
innovative ways to not only rebuild our infrastructure but to assist
those most affected by this storm in rebuilding their lives."

For the entire press release, go to
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20051001005013&newsLang=en