2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Grigsby, Beth A" <bgrigsby@purdue.edu>
Date: 20 Apr 2006 21:11:22 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] GASB Accounting for Pollution Remediation

Michael A. Prager responded to me directly and he summarizes my concerns (second paragraph).

Hi Beth-

I am not an expert on this but if you have not already heard about this, a man from Ft. Worth TX was recently speaking about his concerns about this new standard on a NALGEP call held a few weeks ago.  He raised many concerns some of which I think may not be correct interpretations of the standard but you should get his notes.  More information including a link the the audio recording of the call are available:

http://www.nalgep.org/about/news.cfm?Page=1&NewsID=30687

In my opinion, it is not yet clear how detrimental the standard may be for brownfields because what constitutes an obligating event is not entirely clear.  Different states have different liability standards for local governments who acquire land.  One scenario to consider that could be a problem, a city negotiates with a large corporation that owns a brownfield in the city.  They work out a deal where the city agrees to cleanup the land if the company gives the property to the city for a $1 (or some variation).  Under the terms of the agreement with the company, the city is obligated to clean up the land.  They plan to use a big TIF and grants and work with a private developer to get the site redeveloped.  If the city has a reasonable estimate that it will cost $3 million to cleanup that land they may need to report that on their books which could impact their bond rating or ability to take on additional debt.  Worst case scenario, city would not want to take on brownfield projects because of these concerns.

Michael A. Prager
Land Recycling Team Leader
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Box 7921
101 S. Webster Street
Madison, WI 53707-7921
Phone - (608) 261-4927
Fax - (608) 267-7646
michael.prager@dnr.state.wi.us
Website: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/aw/rr/

Beth A. Grigsby, LPG
Brownfields Outreach Program Manager
Purdue Center for Regional Development
Burton D. Morgan Center for Entrepreneurship, Room 220
1201 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
765.494.9928