2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Jul 2006 07:09:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Green Roofs and Brownfields

From: Paul Kennedy <paulk@cawaco.org>

Dear List:

Green with envy. That's us thinking about places like Europe where
greenroofs have been employed for generations as a practical building
topper. Opportunities abound to incorporate non-traditional measures
into brownfield remediation. The ecological, economic, aesthetic, and
intangible aspects are worth a look.

In Birmingham, Alabama, we asked a bright young scientist to look at a
"What if" scenario. It was not scoped, planned, or done as an in-depth
research study, rather as a quick estimate of what the greenroof impact
might be if all of the available flat roofs were greened. This is meant
to be thought provoking. If we could add greenroofs to all of the
brownfield rehabs - we might be able to further the pace of
eco-restoration in built-up areas.

For example:

Nearly 40% of the city blocks were occupied by flat roofs.

Greening them all might reduce the stormwater runoff by more than a
third, not to mention all of the other benefits. For more info check out
the report at http://www.cawaco.org/reports/BirminghamGreenRoofAnalysis.pdf

Paul W. Kennedy
Paul.kenendy@al.usda.gov <mailto:Paul.kenendy@al.usda.gov>
www.cawaco.org <http://www.cawaco.org/>
(205) 264-8460
The Center for Regional Planning and Design
1731 First Avenue North
Suite 200
Birmingham, AL 35203

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org