2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: lsiegel@np.craigslist.org
Date: 16 Aug 2006 17:51:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE letter from Congresswoman Kelly to EPA

Letter from Congresswoman Sue Kelly addressed to the EPA.
July 26, 2006

The Honorable Stephen Johnson
Administrator
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Ariel Rios Building, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW,
Washington, DC 20460

Dear Administrator Johnson,

My purpose in writing today is to urge the Environmental Protection Agency
to issue new guidelines concerning a toxic chemical that is detrimentally
affecting people in my district and across the country.

As you know, the National Resource Council of the National Academies of
Science (NAS) has released a report today that further substantiates the
risks to human health posed by Trichloroethylene (TCE).  In light of the
NAS report, I request that you immediately conform to the risk
assessment's recommendations and establish the overdue guidelines for this
deadly toxic contaminant immediately.

As you know, the EPA's Human Risk Assessment from 2001 determined TCE to
be 5 - 65 times more dangerous than previously believed.  In fact, the NAS
report suggests that things may be even worse than the EPA study
concluded.  Specifically, the NAS study states that "the evidence on
carcinogenic risk and other health hazards from exposure to
trichloroethylene has strengthened since 2001."  With this new evidence,
it is increasingly apparent that the time has come for the EPA to act to
protect citizens in the vicinity of TCE contaminated sites.

There are two Superfund sites in my district that have been contaminated
by TCE, and my constituents have understandably been frustrated by the
EPA's inability to establish guidelines 5 years after the 2001 study
indicated greater risks associated with TCE.  The NAS report expressly
advises that "federal agencies finalize their risk assessment with
currently available data so that risk management decision can be made
expeditiously."

I share these sentiments and hope that your Agency will act quickly to
adopt new, definitive TCE guidelines, which would go a long way towards
protecting communities across the country from the public health risks
associated with water and air contamination from this toxic chemical.

I appreciate your providing this request with the attention it deserves
and look forward to your timely response.

Sincerely,

Sue Kelly

Member of Congress