2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Oct 2006 03:18:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Horseshoe Road Superfund site (NJ)- potential vapor intrusion

Concerns raised over Horseshoe Road site
Environmental group says Horseshoe Road is 'a toxic playground'

BY MICHAEL ACKER
Old Bridge Suburban, (NJ)
October 12, 2006

Human exposure to toxic substances is not under control at the Horseshoe Road Superfund site in Sayreville.

That's according to a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency report, which lists more than a dozen other sites in New Jersey as also being unsecured to exposure.

"One of the issues we have with the groundwater is vapor intrusion," Osolin said. "When we look at a site, we not only look at what potential exposures there are now, we look at what we might find in the future. Volatile organic solvents trapped in the ground beneath the site could put off gas into a building if one is built there, so we are going in after those to get rid of that potential."

http://suburban.gmnews.com/news/2006/1012/Front_Page/002.html

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org