2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Robert Paterson" <rgfp@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: 25 Oct 2006 23:18:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Subsidies

Austin TX's Greater Chamber of Commerce commissioned an economic development
study back in 1995 asking how they could continue to grow their silicon
hills and maintain quality of life...the answer from the consultants was to
continue to pursue a "balanced sustainable development" approach...the high
tech sector wants a highly educated work force, a fantastic community that
offers its employees great schools, world class cultural entertainment and
the best outdoor scenic beauty and recreational opportunities--why, so its
easy to steal the best and the brightest talent from silicon valley and from
other high tech firms in the US, and keep em happy while in Austin...so
investing in the open space system was a priority, but also dealing with the
growing gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" was also noted -- since
they noted gang activity and other crime/social problems often stem from
lack of opportunity for all sectors of a community...in short, the
consultants concurred with Lenny's point, of course the corporations will
extract as much subsidy as they can along the way (and yes other locational
factors do come into play such as freight, hwy and air cargo access etc.,)

Cheers

Bob

Robert G. Paterson
Associate Professor
Co-Director, Center for Sustainable Development
1 University Station B7500
School of Architecture
The University of Texas
Austin TX 78712-1160
512-471-0734
Fax 512-471-0716
rgfp@mail.utexas.edu

Whatever befalls the earth
Befalls the sons and daughters
Of the earth.
We did not weave the web of life;
We are merely a strand in it.
Whatever we do to the web.
We do it to ourselves.
 -Chief Seattle (1788-1866)
Native American (Suquamish leader)

use of the individual or entity named above.

Distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you received
this communication in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at
the number above, and destroy the message.

Thank you.