2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Robert Paterson" <rgfp@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: 2 Nov 2006 07:13:36 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Re: Re-Working the Thinking on Brownfields Subsidies

Okay Bruce,

I agree I'm not terribly fond of LEEDs either--it is completely lacking in
social justice elements, has a poor weighting system and has problems in
implementation to be sure--but what I was pondering with that thread is how
to reasonably "operationalize accountability" for subsidies (taking into
account comments from Ignacio on the feasibility of localities doing such
things).  Localities have never been good at "evaluation," so how could we
make this tractable for them?  The point system might have a baseline
objective of basic market correction/equalization, and then, yes offer more
points for more non-market amenities that are desired........ how might a
locality estimate what was needed in the single developer scenario?  Clearly
we know ways to estimate stigma impacts, clean up costs etc., but is this
reasonable to ask of locals? Maybe this is the focus of the chat at the
National Conference?

Bob