2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Dec 2006 06:53:30 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Water Street, Ypsilanti, Michigan

Freed backs out of Water Street

City to evaluate what steps to take without a preferred developer

By Dan DuChene
Ypsilanti Courier (MI)
December 13, 2006

Negotiations for a Water Street developer have fallen through for a second time since 2001.

Joseph Freed and Associates, the city's second selected developer, decided to cease negotiations for a development agreement, citing the state's poor economy and slow housing market as the primary reasons. Ed Koryzno, Ypsilanti's city manager, made the announcement in a memo on Friday.

"What we need to do is assess the amount of cleanup we can perform on our own," Koryzno said.

In his memo, Koryzno said the city still has more than $1.25 million remaining in grants and loans for building demolition and environmental cleanup.

http://www.ypsilanticourier.com/stories/121406/loc_20061214004.shtml

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org