2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: SusanNeumanEsq@aol.com
Date: 19 Dec 2006 22:30:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Insurance Coverage for Institutional Controls Liabilities

I have recently been able to obtain coverage under a site pollution liability (SPL, also known as PLL or EIL) policy for liabilities associated with institutional controls.  This is provisional coverage, similar to "reopener' coverage for cleanup costs due to known conditions, because the actual coverage will not be needed, and cannot go into effect, until the IC's are established, almost always long after the closing date of deal, the precise time when broader SPL coverage is usually needed. This timing problem is the reason that Zurich's Post Remedial Care Environmental Liability Policy, a stand-alone policy which addresses IC liabilities, has never been written.  Once the IC coverage under an SPL policy does go into effect, however, it should be automatically renewable, thus potentially solving the long-term liability problem.

Of course, the coverage, provisional or actual, itself has to be properly implemented, and that is another story.  If anyone is interested in learning how to obtain this coverage, please contact me personally.

Sue

Susan Neuman, Esq., Ph.D.
Environmental Insurance Agency, Inc.
138 Chatsworth Ave., Suite 2