2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Robert Hersh" <b_hersh@verizon.net>
Date: 12 Feb 2007 16:22:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Asbury Park dump cleanup

Old dump site eyed for development
Asbury Park Press
02/11/07

BY JOHN VANDIVER
TOMS RIVER BUREAU

LAKEWOOD - The old Hagaman dump site on Route 9, a longtime eyesore, has
been designated as a prime spot for redevelopment, and environmental testing
soon will begin at the location.

In 2002, the Environmental Protection Agency selected Lakewood for a
brownfields pilot project and provided the township with a $200,000 grant to
examine sites for potential redevelopment.

On Friday, the Lakewood Development Corporation and its project team of
community advisers met to devise a plan to push the project forward.

"Now we're really focused and have the approval of the EPA to move forward,"
said Russell Corby, executive director of the Lakewood Development
Corporation. "The Hagaman site, there's a long history there. We can change
it for the better. We saw something that was wrong and we changed it."

Now, the project team will arrange a meeting with the Township Committee and
organize a public forum on the project.

"It's very, very important we maintain an awareness in the community," Corby
said.

It's still too early to say what could be built at the Hagaman site, located
off Cross Street, or when redevelopment could begin. But the project team is
working with Birdsall Engineering, which will perform water and soil tests
at the location.

"I hope this works. Anything we can do to help Lakewood," said Betty
Aptekar, 84, a lifelong resident and member of the project team.

Under the EPA pilot project, the township will integrate all brownfield
sites into the township's master economic redevelopment plan. The objective
is to incorporate brownfield sites in ways to increase employment
opportunities and enhance economic growth. According to the EPA's Web site,
a brownfield is defined as a site where the property's reuse may be
complicated by the presence or potential presence of a pollutant.

The selection of the Hagaman site came after numerous project team meetings
and discussions. The team considered about 200 different locations scattered
through the township.

For entire article see:
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070211/NEWS02/70211008/1070

Bob Hersh