2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Hersh, Robert" <hersh@WPI.EDU>
Date: 20 Feb 2007 16:44:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Riverfront cleanup in Asheville

Riverfront buildings targeted for reuse

Asheville Citizen-Times
By John Boyle,

February 18, 2007 12:15 am
ASHEVILLE, NC - You wouldn't expect riverfront redevelopment to look like
this.

Clad in coveralls, Richard Beale, a senior associate with Martin & Slagle
GeoEnvironmental Associates in Black Mountain, and co-worker Scott Spinner
stand behind the remarkably dilapidated Asheville Ice Plant at 90 Riverside
Drive. A pump whirs continuously in the background, and Spinner lifts a long
plastic tube of brownish water from a monitoring well they've drilled down
about 10 feet.

"We are looking for any environmental impairment on the site, and as part of
the scope of work to do that, we're checking the surface soils and, of
course, the groundwater," Beale says after guiding the plastic tube into a
brown bottle. "If we find something, we'll make a recommendation to the
Land-of-Sky and their client, which is the developer, and come up with a plan
of action."

The water, along with soil samples from the site, will indicate what
redevelopment will hold for the two sites Beale is working on - the Ice Plant
building and the Asheville Waste Paper Co. site at 304 Lyman St. Once
completed, the assessments will show how much environmental cleanup is
needed, what a developer can use the property for and how much money it will
cost to get the site back in use.

The buildings could play a key role in redevelopment along the French Broad
River District, an area the city of Asheville has targeted for growth.
Officials say developers want to use the sites for a combination of living
space and commercial development. That dovetails with the Wilma Dykeman
RiverWay Plan, which consolidates 20 years of planning for the redevelopment
of the urban riverfront corridor.

For the entire story, see:
<<http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770217049>>

Bob Hersh