2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Mar 2007 19:09:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Bally, PA -- Contamination hinders home's sale

Contamination hinders home's sale

Evan Brandt
Pottstown Mercury (PA)
March 23, 2007

BALLY -- Scott Schaediger has three children and every time he walks out of his house he sees the former Bally Case and Cooler plant, and he shudders.

"I think about this thing every day," Schaediger told the 60 or so residents who gathered in the Bally firehouse to hear what the Environmental Protection Agency is doing to provide clean water to borough residents.

His house on North Fourth Street sits right on top of the contamination plume that stretches from the plant to the municipal well a few hundred yards away, he said.

And when he bought his house, no one told him.

"Is it legal to build on top of a Superfund site? I cannot believe that someone could get permission to build there," Schaediger said Thursday evening. "And certainly not without disclosing it."

http://www.pottstownmercury.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18117374&BRD=1674&PAG=461&dept_id=18041&rfi=6