2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Apr 2007 18:53:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Blood testing offered at New Bedford (MA) schools

State offers to test teachers, Keith School neighbors for blood PCBs

By AUTUMN SPANNE
New Bedford Standard-Times (MA)
April 21, 2007

NEW BEDFORD - The state Department of Public Health has offered to conduct PCB blood testing for teachers at New Bedford High School and Keith Middle School, as well as for residents living in the vicinity of the schools.

The blood testing would be part of a state health assessment of people who live or work on and near land contaminated with PCBs and other toxins, according to Suzanne Condon, assistant DPH commissioner and director of its Center for Environmental Health.

"I've indicated that, yes, we'd be more than willing to do an assessment, but in order to do the best job of that it makes sense to gather a little more information," Ms. Condon told The Standard-Times yesterday.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/NEWS/704210363