2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 28 May 2007 04:47:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Arsenic-tainted Swann Park, Baltimore, Maryland

'Is it even safe to live here?'
People living near arsenic-tainted Swann Park wonder if their loved ones' poor health or deaths are tied to working at a once-nearby factory. And they wonder if they're next.

By Tom Pelton
Baltimore Sun (MD)
May 27, 2007

Harvey Leichling watched his 12-year-old son scramble after a baseball under a locked gate that barred the way into a city park and the ball fields on the other side.

"Hey," shouted Leichling, "get out of there!" He pointed to a sign on the park's chain link fence: "Closed to All Users by Authority of the Baltimore City Health Department."

Leichling and his family have lived beside Swann Park in South Baltimore for almost two decades, but lately he has regarded their oasis of green in a new way - not as a refuge from their industrial neighborhood but as a potential menace to himself and the people he loves, like his son, Cory. "We used to picnic down there in the park, play football, go fishing and eat crabs out of the river. We'd lay in the grass and watch the fireworks," said the 47-year-old airplane parts inspector. "Now what I want to know is, is it even safe enough to live here?"

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/health/bal-te.md.cancer27may27,0,5024560.story?coll=bal-college-football