2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Frink, Neal" <NFRINK@DINSLAW.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2007 15:16:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Sarbanes-Oxley & de-mothballing

SOX was given teeth relative to warehoused/mothballed sites with
issuance of FIN 47 ("Accounting for Asset Retirement Obligations - An
Interpretation of FASB Statement 143").  FIN 47, which issued in March
2005, was effective for fiscal years ending after December 2005.  The
requirement for publicly traded companies to account for AROs should
have been some impetus for unloading some of the "inventory" of
mothballed/warehoused sites.  I'm just not sure how one measures the
impact.  It would be interesting to compare booked AROs pre- and
post-issuance of FIN 47 for some select companies.  Maybe someone from
the accounting world can shed light on how visible AROs are on publicly
available balance sheets for publicly traded companies.   - NEAL

Neal A. Frink, Esq.
Dinsmore & Shohl, LLP
1900 Chemed Center
255 East Fifth Street