2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2007 22:41:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Whitehall Leather (MI)

Whitehall's Brownfield tannery site may soon be 200 lakeside condos

By: Deborah Johnson Wood
Rapid Growth (MI)
June 7, 2007

The site of the former 300,000-square-foot Whitehall Leather Company tannery may soon be 200 lakeside condominiums. Grand Rapids-based Eastbrook Homes purchased the 33-acre waterfront parcel on the east end of White Lake and, with the help of a variety of grants and tax incentives, plans to clean up the contaminated Brownfield site and begin construction.

"We're excited about taking something that is blighted and turning it into something that's a point of great pride for the community," says Bob Sorensen, Eastbrook spokesman. "It'll require a lot of good things to happen but we'll make it happen."

Plans to-date remain fluid, but Sorensen hopes to soon have a name for the development and architectural drawings. He expects plans will include both attached and stand alone condominiums, beachfront units, and about 150 boat slips for residents.

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmentnews/tannery0607.aspx