2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2007 16:01:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Crossley Farm Superfund site, Hereford Township, Pennsylvania

Berks residents wary of EPA well fix
Agency has $19 million plan to clean up water tainted with carcinogen.

By Patrick Lester
Allentown Morning Call
June 15, 2007

The federal government has announced plans for an estimated $19 million cleanup of a Berks County toxic waste site nearly 25 years after a potentially cancer-causing chemical was found in drinking water there.

Residents already concerned about the tainted water and the resale value of their homes are now concerned that the EPA's plan to pump 1,000 gallons of water out of the ground as part of the cleanup will harm a nearby creek, dry up wells and worsen the contamination in some areas.

As it has in many areas with TCE contamination, the EPA has begun testing homes for hazardous fumes and has installed vent pipes in at least two homes. The agency continues to monitor other homes.

"We've sampled 25 [homes] and found two where there was a problem," Sternberg said. "We will probably continue to do additional sampling as a precaution."

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/quakertown/all-b1_2crossley.5899228jun15,0,4914214.story?coll=all-newslocalquakertown-hed