2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 10 Aug 2007 14:36:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Marathon Oil, Detroit, Michigan

[Michigan's expansive view of brownfields never ceases to amaze me. In this instance, the owner of an operating oil refinery is seeking brownfields tax credits to expand on site. - LS]

Marathon considers expanding southwest Detroit refinery

By JOHN GALLAGHER
DETROIT FREE PRESS (MI)
August 9, 2007

Marathon Petroleum Co. is weighing a $1 billion investment to upgrade and expand its oil refinery operation in Southwest Detroit.

Best known for its tank farm along I-75 in southwest Detroit, the refinery has a current capacity to refine 100,000 barrels a day. That would increase to 115,000 barrels a day, and the refinery would be upgraded to refine new types of supply, including heavy Canadian crude oil known as “tar sands” that it cannot refine now.

If it proceeds, the work would create 135 new jobs on the site.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070809/BUSINESS/70809038/1002/BUSINESS