2007 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Joe Schilling" <jms33@vt.edu>
Date: 21 Aug 2007 19:00:47 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] National Vacant Properties Campaign Conference Sept 24-25th

Beyond Brownfields redevelopment, many of our communities and neighborhoods struggle with how to prevent, abate, and perhaps acquire vacant residential/commercial properties, abandoned buildings, and vacant store fronts. This is especially relevant with the dramatic rise in foreclosure filings nationwide!

Many of these vacant properties are near by or next door to the classic Brownfields sites.  Instead of attacking these problems separately, a few communities are beginning to take holistic approaches that include the reclamation of Greyfields and vacant properties—some of us might call this a type of "Area Wide" BFs redevelopment.

With generous support from the Ford, Rockefeller, Fannie Mae, and Surdna foundations, for the past three years I've been engaged in a collaborative endeavor with several national nonprofit organizations to identify and share model programs and practices related to vacant property revitalization--the National Vacant Properties Campaign (NVPC) (www.vacantproperties.org ). We have also provided direct technical assistance to cities such as Cleveland, Tucson, Las Vegas, Buffalo, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Jacksonville, etc. Many of these communities have good BFs programs but have yet to find ways to coordinate with their housing and community development counterparts.

No matter where we work, we run into a wide array of state and local legal and policy issues involving such topics as code enforcement, nuisance abatement, receivership, housing inspection, land banks, CDCs development, affordable housing, spot blight, tax delinquent foreclosure, real property information systems, mortgage servicers, predatory lending, and eminent domain.

If you and/or your community are involved with these and other issues related to community and economic development, then I invite you to join us for the first national conference on vacant property reclamation hosted by the NVPC and the Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank in Pittsburgh, September 24-25th.  There are many sessions that highlight model programs and practices that could benefit you and your communities.

See link below. Please feel free to pass this announcement on to other colleagues and clients

Joe Schilling

Metropolitan Institute--Virginia Tech

Don't miss Reclaiming Vacant Properties Conference:

Strategies for Rebuilding America's Neighborhoods!

September 24-25, 2007                Pittsburgh, PA

http://www.vacantproperties.org/reclaimingconference.html