2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:00:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Mott Haven campus, the Bronx, site management plan review

Independent Review of the
Draft Site Management Plan for the Mott
Haven Schools Complex, Bronx, New York

by Lenny Siegel & Peter Strauss
March, 2008

CPEO comments on the January 2008 draft Site Management Plan (SMP) for
the Mott Haven school campus, now under construction in the South Bronx.
The School Construction Authority cleanup of this site is robust, and
with proper site management, the students, teachers, and others who will
occupy this site will not be at risk of unacceptable environmental
exposures. While the draft SMP contains many of the elements necessary
to guide long-term site management, we find that it is incomplete. The
chronic health risks from exposure to contaminants on site must be taken
seriously. The time to ensure the long-term safety of the site is now.
The officials and consultants who design and oversee both cleanup and
construction will be long gone in decades, but the need to manage the
site will continue.

To download the 21-page, 3.1 MB report as a PDF file, go to
http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/MottHavenSMP.pdf

For years, we have been arguing that long-term site management is an
essential component of environmental response any place there is
residual contamination. In this instance we were able to consider
exactly what that should entail. - LS