2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:17:28 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Community Revitalization Alliance at Brownfields 2008

Submitted by Deeohn Ferris <gerinc@mindspring.com> of the Sustainable
Community Development Group on behalf of the Community Revitalization
Alliance

Join us in Detroit at Brownfields 2008 at the inaugural luncheon
Tuesday, May 6, 2008 celebrating the national Community Revitalization
Alliance and our other brownfields conference activities.

INVITATIONAL LUNCHEON The Community Revitalization Alliance will be
launched in collaboration with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
and other partners at the Agency's national brownfields conference BF
2008 in Detroit. Please RSVP for our invitational luncheon Tuesday May
6, 2008, 12:00pm at Detroit's COBO Convention Center, Room D-3-
16/17/18. Seating is limited so RSVP right away to Felicia Sanders at
FeliciaMeetings@gmail.com.

Lunch speakers are leaders in the public, private and community sectors.
Confirmed speakers: Assistant Administrator for the Office of Solid
Waste and Emergency Response, Susan Bodine and Assistant Administrator
for the Office of Enforcement, Granta Nakayama. David Lloyd, Director,
U.S. EPA Office of Brownfields and Land Revitalization will join us and
Mayor Rick Baker, a leader in sustainable redevelopment, is invited.

We are co-hosting two other high profile events at the conference that
are open to all.

ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE CAUCUS. The Environmental Justice Caucus is
scheduled Sunday, May 4, 2008, 5:00pm-9:00pm at Asian Village, 521
Atwater Street walking distance a few blocks away from the Cobo Center.
The topic of the Environmental Justice Caucus and a renowned group of
presenters is sustainable redevelopment: the green economy, green jobs
and environmental health.

BF 2008 GENTRIFICATION PANEL. Equitable Development and Gentrification,
Wednesday, May 7, 2008, 9:00am-10:30am Room 02-44, Cobo Convention
Center featuring a workshop focused on tools and strategies to address
equitable development and gentrification. Moderator, Deeohn Ferris,
President, Sustainable Community Development Group, Inc. and panelists
Chloe Coney, Corporation to Develop Communities of Tampa, Inc. (CDC of
Tampa, Inc.); Daniel T. Kildee, Treasurer, Genesee County, MI; Vincent
Nathan, Director, Environmental Affairs, City of Detroit; and Vernice
Miller-Travis, Environmental Support Center.

MORE ABOUT THE COMMUNITY REVITALIZATION ALLIANCE. The Community
Revitalization Alliance, headquartered in Washington, DC connects a
growing number of community development corporations, environmental
justice groups, civic associations, faith based organizations,
developers and practitioners in these fields from around the nation. The
work of the Alliance is guided by an expanding interdisciplinary
advisory committee. Our advisors are multi-stakeholder leaders in
community and economic development, labor, environment quality, health,
social justice, advocacy and law. Sustainable Community Development
Group, Inc. hosts and manages the Alliance.

Our mission is education and implementation at the national level that
leads to sustainable redevelopment of brownfields, vacant and other
distressed properties in underserved urban and rural neighborhoods. Our
goals include providing insight and ideas to decision makers and
influentials in the public, private, academic and community sectors;
bridging gaps between sectors that are working on issues; ensuring that
the voices of on-the-ground diverse constituencies are better
understood; ensuring that these voices, views and best practices drawn
from community experiences are integrated into the discourse and decisions.

This multi-stakeholder coalition is a change agent - these are voices
that are heretofore rarely heard at the highest levels of public policy.
 From the perspective of the Community Revitalization Alliance, there is
a direct relationship between environment and health and the needs,
health and vitality of a community. That is our unifying message:
Community quality of life, environmental justice, public health and
stewardship should be at the center of governmental decisions and
programs that involve and affect communities.

Sustainable Community Development Group, Inc. is a not-for-profit
corporation on the forefront of working with the public, private and
community sectors to advance environmental sustainability, equitable
development and global smart growth.