2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Michigan bond proposal

DEQ drafts $1.3B cleanup plan: Bond would target contaminated sites, water

By Amy Lane
Crain's Detroit Business (MI)
May 19, 2008

LANSING - The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality is laying groundwork for a $1.3 billion environmental bond proposal that would include money to clean up and redevelop contaminated sites, protect and restore Great Lakes water quality and preserve land.

The DEQ hopes to place the proposal before voters in November and is making its case to interest groups throughout the state as it targets June legislative action.

"I'm meeting with virtually every stakeholder group that this proposal has any impact on, any significance to," said DEQ Director Steven Chester. "I am asking them for a sense of whether or not they think we're in the ballpark. I've not heard anybody say 'no.' And then, absolutely, I am looking for their support."

http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080519/SUB/805190345/1069