2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:15:59 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] New York City forms Office of Environmental Remediation

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PR- 218-08
June 9, 2008

MAYOR BLOOMBERG ANNOUNCES CREATION OF OFFICE OF ENVIRONMENTAL REMEDIATION AND OUTLINES NECESSARY REFORM MEASURES TO OVERHAUL NEW YORK'S BROWNFIELD CLEANUP PROGRAM

New Office Will Lead City's Expansion of Brownfield Identification and Cleanup Efforts as Outlined in PlaNYC and Work with State on Instituting Reform

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg today announced the creation of the Office of Environmental Remediation (OER) to expedite the cleanup of contaminated brownfield sites throughout New York City as outlined in PlaNYC . The new office will create a new local brownfield program and work with communities and developers to help them navigate remediation processes. Mayor Bloomberg also outlined a series of reform measures for New York State's Brownfield Cleanup Program, including State authorization of the City to offer liability protection for Brownfield cleanups performed under City oversight. The Mayor was joined at the announcement, which took place at Edgewater Concrete Plant in the Bronx, by newly appointed OER Director Daniel Walsh, Director of the Mayor's Office of Operations Jeffrey Kay and Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe.

"Over the past six years, we have undertaken a comprehensive review and transformation of land-use in New York City, unlocking transit-accessible areas for new residential and commercial development, creating and enhancing parks and playgrounds and revitalizing more than 60 miles of waterfront," said Mayor Bloomberg. "Cleaning our more than 7,600 acres of contaminated sites and putting them to productive use is the critical next step in that effort. Our new Office of Environmental Remediation, led by Dan Walsh, will spearhead our plan to make that happen, but we can't do it alone. We need Albany to introduce a series of critical reforms to make brownfield remediation easier and more economical, and to ensure it is done with greater input from local communities."

For the entire press release, see
http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.c0935b9a57bb4ef3daf2f1c701c789a0/index.jsp?pageID=mayor_press_release&catID=1194&doc_name=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nyc.gov%2Fhtml%2Fom%2Fhtml%2F2008a%2Fpr218-08.html&cc=unused1978&rc=1194&ndi=1