2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:39:13 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Largo, Florida

Brownfields bring in green

By Demorris A. Lee
St. Petersburg Times (FL)
June 27, 2008

In an effort to spur economic development, Largo is requesting that a large swath of the city be designated a brownfield redevelopment area.

Brownfield sites are typically abandoned, idle or underused industrial and commercial properties where expansion or redevelopment is complicated by environmental contamination. The designation is primarily used as a tool by local governments to qualify for state and federal grants.

"It's an opportunity to have an area get re-energized and to encourage developers to come in, especially in the commercial areas," said Teresa Brydon, Largo's economic development manager. "It allows developers to come into an existing site, revitalize it and create an opportunity where we are not going into the green space and building out when we don't need to."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article647947.ece