2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Dupont, Pompton Lakes, New Jersey vapor intrusion

Chemical fears bring community to prominent law firm

BY ELAINE D'AURIZIO
The Record (NJ)
July 25, 2008

The New York law firm of Robert F. Kennedy Jr., part of a legal team that won a $380 million suit against DuPont last year in West Virginia, has been retained by borough residents living in a Pompton Lakes neighborhood where contamination by DuPont has been discovered.

"We've been asked by a significant number of residents to look into the possibility of making claims for damages relating to the Pompton Lakes community against DuPont," said Kevin Madonna, a partner in Kennedy and Madonna of Hurley, N.Y.

http://www.northjersey.com/environment/environmentnews/Chemical_fears_bring_community_to_prominent_law_firm_.html

See also

POMPTON LAKES - Citizens unite over DuPont

by Leslie Scott
Suburban Trends (NJ)
July 23, 2008

Mayor Katie Cole is establishing a special committee to tackle new toxin discoveries and other concerns arising from the DuPont explosives factory once based in this borough.

"I want to start a citizens advisory committee to deal with not just the DuPont situation that we have now, but it looks as if DuPont is going to be around for a while now," said Cole.

In the 1980s, it was discovered that DuPont left toxins in the groundwater under more than 300 homes, which the company was ordered to clean.

The cleanup process is still going on today. The most recent test results showed that this water is also emitting toxic vapors into the air.

http://www.suburbantrends.com/NC/0/918.html