2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Con Ed demolition, East River, New York City

Con Ed's in dustup over demolition

BY NANCIE L. KATZ
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
August 27 2008

Con Edison's demolition of an old East River plant has infuriated Williamsburg residents, who charge the company has refused to disclose if the dust is hazardous.

"It's like Desert Storm," said Isaac Abraham, head of the Clemente Plaza Tenants Association.

He claimed the utility offered and then refused to provide residents with information on what they're breathing from the Kent Ave. plant.

"We've been stonewalled," he said. "That building was contaminated with asbestos. They started demolishing this building without notification to area residents. We've had our windows shut for a month and a half. The only thing this community got was a con job."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2008/08/27/2008-08-27_con_eds_in_dustup_over_demolition-2.html