2008 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:13:31 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Niagara County (NY) Union Carbide plant

Brownfield loan plan aids recycler

By Thomas J. Prohaska
BUFFALO NEWS (NY)
December 11, 2008

WHEATFIELD - Niagara County kicked off its loan program for brownfield cleanups Wednesday by lending $250,000 to bolster a Niagara Falls company's struggle to move a tire recycling business into the former Union Carbide plant.

Sam Santarosa, president of Santarosa Holdings, said he's had to scale back his planned $9 million project because he's finding it hard to obtain bank loans. "We're looking for every little bit of help we can get," he said.

The estimated cost of cleaning up the College Avenue factory, vacant since 1986, has doubled from $750,000 to $1.5 million, Santarosa told the inaugural meeting of the Niagara County Brownfield Development Corp., which approved the loan.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/niagaracounty/story/519964.html